Sunil K. Rao, MD
Memorial Retina Fellowship Award
The purpose of the Sunil K. Rao, MD Memorial Retina Fellowship Award is to acknowledge and provide educational support for ophthalmologists demonstrating outstanding achievement in retinal disease. The award provides financial support that enables up to two retina fellows to attend the 2013 Annual Meeting in New Orleans.
In 2012, Dr. Sunil K. Rao, an ophthalmologist specializing in retinal disease, passed away suddenly at age 34. Dr. Rao completed his residency training in 2008 at Brown University and completed his medical and surgical vitreoretinal fellowship in 2010 at The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary. Throughout his life and career Dr. Rao had a boundless enthusiasm for learning and teaching medicine and ophthalmology. He was extremely generous to his patients, family and friends, and will truly be missed by all those who were fortunate enough to have known him.
As a tribute to his memory and passion for ophthalmology, his colleagues, family and friends have established a memorial fund through the Academy Foundation. In 2013, the Academy Foundation will grant the Sunil K. Rao, MD Memorial Retina Fellowship Award to two distinguished ophthalmologists. The award will consist of:
- Complimentary Academy Plus course pass at the 2013 Annual Meeting
- Complimentary registration for the 2013 Retina Subspecialty Day meeting and one Breakfast With the Experts roundtable
- Complimentary retina Skills Transfer course at the 2013 Annual Meeting
- $2,500 stipend for travel related to the 2013 Annual Meeting (airfare, hotel, meals and ground transportation)
- $1,250 voucher for educational products from the Academy Store
- An award certificate recognizing the Retina Fellow's achievement
The deadline to receive nomination forms was July 15, 2013, and we are no longer accepting applications. Award recipients will be notified by August 31, 2013.